Sunday, February 15, 2009

Painful Problems with a Human System

"Problems With the National Foster Care System
Over 500,000 children are in our nation's foster care system. 20,000 plus will "age out" this year due to failures of the system. Each of us have a responsibility to aid these chikdren in becoming responsible, productive adults in our communities."
http://www.associatedcontent.comarticle/25350/problems_with_the_national_foster_care.html

So, I was flipping through the t.v. channels a few minutes ago, which is rather common for me to do late at night as my brain begins to slow down, my fingers move across my keyboard taking me to various websites and what not, and I actually go in and out of listening to those infomercials (eek!). Well, there was an advertisement for an upcoming movie (probably something on Lifetime, to be honest), and it was delving into the life of a particular soon-to-be 18 year-old male who is currently in the foster care system and how his release into the world outside of the system affects his life (and those around him). Needless to say, I had to find out for myself what the current faults in this system are and what we (I) can do -- if anything -- about it. So, this is today's post. Let's learn together and do what we can as we can to make a difference for the 200,000+ children in this country who have not had the privileged life that most of us have led and will likely continue to lead.

Friends and Loved Ones: I send you my best and know that I care greatly about you. Thank you for influencing wh
o I am (and who I will continue to be) and for making my life worthwhile. =)

Love Always,
Juliet

1 comment:

Amy Franck said...

I wrote a huge paper on foster care while in grad school... it's such a massive issue with little awareness. Matt and I are actually thinking of being foster parents some day :)

Miss you- let's talk soon!