Thursday, September 2, 2010

7 Minutes Today, Make a Difference in Your Lifetime

Estimate: I'm guessing it'll take no more than 7 minutes to read and to do everything within this post. Preface: This post is about a serious topic, and I take it seriously. (I hope that you do not necessarily equate seriousness with sadness or tedium, although I admit that you will likely experience some of that in this post.) Cancer has affected many loved ones and people to whom I am superficially connected already in my 28 years -- triumph and survival to losing loved ones. Undoubtedly, cancer has affected you, either directly or through a loved one. I'm no 'expert' when it comes to cancer, but I feel that I am educated enough in its affects on me and the impacts it can have on lives -- positive and negative. Here's to finding a cure, and to supporting these incredible efforts and the people affected by cancer.

Settle into that video-watching position in your fave, comfy spot that affords you the peace and quiet you deserve to give yourself each day. Silence all (or as many) disturbances (as you can) around you. Grab the good ear buds or turn on the good speakers. Then, watch this slightly-over-4-minutes video (then come back here):


Rachel's Birthday Video from Kristian Anderson on Vimeo. Featuring "Marry Me" by Train.  (Viewers: tissues recommended) 

Don't know about you, but I keep seeing Kristian, his face and the sign "I need you like I need a cure for cancer" in my mind. Want to do something about it? (I do.)

Okay. Let's do something together...

Mark Friday, September 10 at 8:00pm EDT (7:00pm CT) in your calendar -- Stand Up to Cancer. You get to park it in front of your TV for a good bit of time to watch great entertainment for a wonderful cause! (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, Bio, Current TV, Discovery Health, E!, G4, HBO, HBO Latino, MLB Network, mun2, Showtime, Smithsonian Channel, The Style Network, TV One and VH1) Want to know what you can do to help? Ideas here.

Then, the best part: If you're feeling the urge to get active and/or to give more, visit this site to help change lives: American Cancer Society - The Official Sponsor of Birthdays.

I promise the lecture is over. To each his or her own, so I'll let you decide what, if anything, you'll do. Regardless of your choices, thank you for reading and for the consideration.

No comments: